Thursday, August 19, 2010

Can someone please give me some advice?

I really want to audition for some musicals at my community theatre in the coming months.


I have a problem though.


I have never been in any shows before.


I am talented.


I have been taking voice lessons for 2 years and acting lessons for a year.


What would I put on my resume?


Most people who are going to be auditioning are people who have been doing musical theatre since they were 3.


I am 17 and I have done nothing except for taking lessons.


They will be able to put all the shows that they have been in on their resume and it will look like I have no experience.


Does it matter that I have never been in any plays or anything?


I really want to be in a show!Can someone please give me some advice?
I was put in the same situation a few months ago.


If you are talented it shouldn't matter.


People could have been in 75 plays but how does that make them better than you?They could have been an extra or a supporting role. Even if not whatever I'm sure you are just as good as them if not whatever again it's your first time! Dont let it disapoint you if you get a small part. If you get a good part YAY YOU!! My audition didnt go good because I was sick. I was so mad aftterwards but, I got a small part yet, I still had a great time. It was my first too. I learned from my mistakes.If they dont except you whatever its their loss. Not yours. You know how good you are.Your just a hidden gem waiting to be put on display. Put on your resume the truth. And if they don't like it whatever. I'm sure there are many people out there looking for someone like you. If these peole aren't it, I know you'll find them soon. SOrry if this sounded like a lecture or if it was too long. Just trying to help. Let me know how things go!! GOOD LUCK!!Can someone please give me some advice?
What you just wrote is your best Resume. Good Luck.
every one has to start somewhere, give it your best, think of all the lessons as just practice, and good or bad it is the experience you want, just as long as you learn for the next one, good luck
If for no other reason than gaining experian e go to the audition!What 's the worst that can happen?And try not to be too intimidated,everyone has to start somewhere.My fist audition was an absolute shamnles,but,I picked myself9and my ego)up off the floor and went to another one right away,so go!
The first question is whether this theater requires a resume. Call up and ask. If it does, just list your training. Do NOT put down under experience ';none';. Just leave that section out. Some directors refuse to read resumes until after the casting is complete. They just want to see how you appear to them. As for the 'no-experience', if you are cast, a decent theater group will take you under its collective wing and provide some wonderful guidance.





Some theaters require you to work backstage for a certain number of shows before they even allow you to audition. In my opinion, some people are dangerous backstage and should only be in front of the audience.





Just remember that almost everybody is nervous at an audition. Many people of lesser capability are cast because of how they appear, either alone or along with someone else. For example, an excellent white singer would not be cast in ';Porgy and Bess';. If you don't get a roll, do not be discouraged. Try out again. I was president of a community theater for a number of years and got turned down for a number of rolls during that time. I have also seen a person who had been in a starring roll on Broadway try out in this theater and be turned down. To prevent any possible embarrassment, I will identify neither the musical nor the roll.





Have fun. Smile. Be presentable.
Everyone has to get their start somewhere. Most community theaters don't care that you have no experience as long as you're talented and can follow direction well. The fact that you have formal training should help you out quite a bit also. I say go for it.
You are -- now don't get mad -- a thief.





Let me explain...





You are stealing from yourself, and stealing from countless others.





...From other actors you can inspire with your gifts


...From your relatives who don't truly know the depth of your talents


...From your SELF, whom you are stifling each and every day that you hesitate.





Every day you WAIT for the ';perfect opportunity'; to get started is another day you cheat the world out of getting YOU.





It's why you're here, my dear.





If you do not define your destiny, believe me: there are plenty of others out there who will gladly do it for you.





You are 17.





Do you want to wake up at 23, still wishing you had stepped up to yourself?





Do you want to wake up at 37, wondering where she is...that girl who was going to do all those wonderful things?





Your time is NOW.





Step forward into the light. It's okay to be nervous, it's okay to have the Fear -- as long as you don't let the Fear wrap itself around your heart. Put it behind you, and let it drive you on. When you hear Fear speak up, say, ';Thank you for your concern...I'll be fine,'; and move on!





1. Find out the date of the next audition (I'll bet you could tell me right now)





2. DECIDE to audition.





3. SEE yourself at the audition...and hear them mutter, ';Where has she BEEN all this time?'; SEE them smile and nod.





Say out loud that you are going to audition. And every time that voice inside speaks up with ';BUT...'; tell it to shut up. It's not your voice. It is the voice of Fear. When it speaks up with a ';BUT...you have no resume';...';BUT your picture isn't ready';...';But you have no real experience';... YOUR answer, loud and clear is ';So What? I am coming out of left field, I am coming out into the light, ready or not, here I come! I am not perfect, but I am here, and no one and nothing can stop me.';





Go, go, go.
Okay, you are starting out just like I did excpt I had never really sang or acted before I started theater and I LOVE IT!!!!.Don't be intimidated by ppl who are more experienced. I mean at some point EVERYone has never been in a show before, your '; some point'; is just a little longer than some peoples. You might as put thoughs lessons to use. If you don't make the cut, big deal! Try again, you'll get it. If you don't make it and keep trying that really shows your dedcation and directors like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment