Thursday, August 19, 2010

I have a great book idea but don't know where to turn on getting it published. Any tips / advice?

start from the begining...


smooth and easy...I have a great book idea but don't know where to turn on getting it published. Any tips / advice?
As others already mentioned, going from having the idea to publishing it can take a long time. An example of this would be the first book I wrote (decades ago)... Fired by the energy of youth, I finished the entire book in less than a week. During this time I had very little sleep, but the words just kept flowing to paper and I kept it up until the story was ';done';.





It took around three years to get it published, during which I practically rewrote the entire book. After all, even though I had what I thought was a great idea and wrote it all out, I wrote it very poorly -I admit that -and before it was really saleable it had major work to be done.





Actually, I believe I will take this opportunity to include an answer to another question I started to answer the other day.


It was a question similar to yours but was actually about poetry and where to get it published. I wrote an answer, but by the time I finished it the question had been withdrawn... Grrr!





The answer applies as well to prose as to poetry, so it is a good way for my work and time to not go to waste... --something a writer (especially at my age) finds appalling. Except for the first two lines which related to that other question, let's hope it is useful to you:








I read the question that starts with ';So?';


and think it trivial -Perhaps I'll go...


But then again the author asks


how they may profit from their tasks.


Perhaps I should pause just a mite


and help them to resolve their plight.


Is Writer's Market still the one


and only place to get things done?


Nay, surely there are many more


and helpful places at the core


of marketing your simple wares.


An agent could assuage your cares,


but there are other ways as well


when you've a story you could tell.


Perhaps a magazine would buy


a single poem, so do try...


Find several, not one, who print


the sort you write. It's just a hint.


If many poems you combine,


Anthology is really fine--


and try a publisher direct


but don't expect them to correct


your wording if an error show.


for they will just say 'Yes' or 'No'.


Oh, I have heard most fellows say


you must keep trying night and day


to sell your work. Don't give them lip


on getting a rejection slip


for these are shared by all who write.


Rejection is a common plight.


Recheck your spelling and your words


(for grammar is not just for nerds);


and don't give up but persevere.


Just try again... ---for fame is near!I have a great book idea but don't know where to turn on getting it published. Any tips / advice?
If it's non-fiction, you should get a book on how to write a proposal to a publisher.





If it is fiction, you need to write the book first. It can take longer than you might expect, and you'll have plenty of time to research the publishing business.
Well you can't get it published unless you have an actual story written out.


And if you do, then it all depends on what kind of story it is. Different publishing agencies do different types of stories.


I suggest you try googling ';publishing comanies';


Good Luck!
First you have to write it. Without a book, you have nothing to publish.





If you start here - go to my profile and you will see I star all great Q and A regarding writing and publishing. Read through them and print out a bunch you think will help you. I add more all the time.








----


They're, Their, There - Three Different Words.





Careful or you may wind up in my next novel.





Pax - C

No comments:

Post a Comment