Thursday, August 19, 2010

I am considering a career in sales. Anyone have any advice for me in order to be successful in sales?

I consider myself an ';assertive introvert'; (I am the quiet type but I know when to be assertive) and I would like to pursue a career in sales (as an insurance agent and independent sales rep). Will my personality affect me from getting a job in sales?I am considering a career in sales. Anyone have any advice for me in order to be successful in sales?
Many successful sales people are ';loners';. They can deal with customers and strangers for hours but they prefer to be alone at other times. Don't worry about your personality.


The main ingredient in sales is luck. Hundreds of people fail for every one who succeeds and the difference is mostly luck. But it does help if you become the most knowledgeable person in town about the product or service you are selling..I am considering a career in sales. Anyone have any advice for me in order to be successful in sales?
My career started in 1972 when I left college and worked in an office and eventually worked my way up through the grades, then I had a long break to raise my children, I eventually returned to work part time but mainly in call centres and have done really well, I am a quiet type of person but work really well on the phones which is a numbers game, I always reached my daily target, because of this experience I have started in a well paid executive job in a large company, the were looking for a business graduate? - most of the staff are half my age, I just had an assessment and they are very pleased - all this because of working in a call centre. Call centres and selling is hard work and can be taxing on the brain, you either love it or hate it.
There's a lot of different kinds of people in sales. I've been in sales for years, and to tell you the truth, the quieter ones are more successful. The most important thing is to brush the ';no's'; off. People will always tell you no. You just can't let it get to you or take it personally. Other than that it's just a numbers game. Make 100 calls and you'll get 10 leads. Out of those 10 you'll get 1 client. That's how it is with most sales jobs. Just keep pushing, and there's a lot of potential in insurance. That's what I do, and I know a lot of knuckle heads in this business that make a lot of money.
Know your product %26amp; match it to what the customer needs. Your quiet assertive personality may be an asset depending on the type of sales you do. Be confident. Your time is just as valuable as the prospects, so don't waste your time on those that are not qualified.





ABC -- Always Be Closing! Watch the movie Glenn Gary Glenn Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment