Saturday, August 21, 2010

What kind of advice can anyone give me for my college essay?

I am in my senior year of high school and I am freaking out about my college essay. I really want to go to the University of wisconsin in madison and I have no idea how to create my essay. The prompt goes something like this%26gt;Section 9 of the application (online and print) is the Statements Section. Students are asked to respond to the following two prompts:





The University of Wisconsin values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally, and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?





If there is additional information you would like us to consider in reviewing your application, please share this with us as well. This is your opportunity to tell us things about yourself that have not been asked elsewhere if you believe they will help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, and test scores.What kind of advice can anyone give me for my college essay?
Avoid cliches. They'll know you're b.s.-ing it.





Stay informative and to the point, do not ramble!





Dont be modest. modesty wont get you into college. they want to know the good things about you,not how 'well some people say im good at...' they want confident individuals. (there is a fine line between modesty and bragging.)





note all AP classes (if applicable) that you took, sports, clubs, community service, etc.





try looking at it from the perspective of the people at the college reading it. while you are writing, go back and reread it. and ask yourself, ';would i want this person going to MY college?';





also, before you start writing, make a list of everything you want to tell them. then list it on a side wordpad in an organized order. then you can be sure you didnt forget anything.





best of luck!!!!!!!!!!What kind of advice can anyone give me for my college essay?
I am applying to UWM as well, but i simply don't know how to get started.


Btw, I think that kitten's answer answers the second essay prompt.


The first prompt is different i suppose.


Please help me...


thank you

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment