Saturday, July 31, 2010

After nursing school, should I go to grad school right away or work for awhile? Any advice from actual nurses?

I'm in my second year (of 4) of school. I want to become some kind of nurse practitioner. Is it best to go to grad school right away? Should I go to work and school part time?After nursing school, should I go to grad school right away or work for awhile? Any advice from actual nurses?
I have been a registered nurse for 3 years and I suggest working first. The best nursing schools in the country can't prepare you for what you will learn on the floor. You definitely need that experience on the floor to guide you in your career. You will be amazed at how much you learn in your first 6 months, not only in skills, but also in confidence! I would advise getting at least a year of only working under your belt, then consider going back to school. That will also make school much easier for you and you will have more educated opinions! I can't image trying to get my masters without working the floor first! Good luck finishing school and starting your career!
  • whiteheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment