Saturday, July 31, 2010

Got any advice for somebody just starting to make pickled vegetables/pickles?

I'm fed up with the price (and, sometimes, taste) of pickled vegetables beyond basic pickles (cucumbers, I mean) -- I'm thinking of things like asparagus, onions, and mushrooms.





I've never done any sort of canning by myself before, and have little idea of where to start on the road to gourmet picklemistress.





Tips, suggestions for web sites, would be great; please let me know the titles of any books considered 'bibles' of pickling...Got any advice for somebody just starting to make pickled vegetables/pickles?
try foodtv.com, but what ever you do, follow the recipe exactly...don't double or triple a recipe. Try the Good Cook Book Club...they have some great books on canning and preserving. Also any book by Rodale Press is a great one for recipes. I have one called Stocking Up 2 and 3 and they are full of recipes on low salt pickles and preserves with low sugar as well as traditional ones. But if you come across a cinnamon zucchini pickle recipe, let me know. LOLGot any advice for somebody just starting to make pickled vegetables/pickles?
Try www.allrecipes.com or get a copy of the book ';Canning %26amp; Preserving by Ball Canning Jars. I have been canning for many, many years. Also, you might check out your local antique store or flea market for old cookbooks on canning. You can also check with your local Home Extension office(Dept. of Agriculture) for literature. But whatever you do follow directions closely %26amp; precisely.
http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles鈥?/a>


http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/veg_pick.ht鈥?/a>





That first site looks great it has onions as well as other food .

No comments:

Post a Comment