Saturday, July 31, 2010

When you trained your puppy what was the product/advice/tool that was most helpful?

They have so many more ideas %26amp; gadgets since they did the last time I had a dog - many look worth it, but was hoping for recommendations.





Thx!When you trained your puppy what was the product/advice/tool that was most helpful?
I'm surprised that n one yet has mentioned a crate. I found it to be invaluable when I was housebreaking my dog, as well as keeping her contained when I had to go to the store.





You should never use a crate as method of punishing a dog. It should be a safe place for both the dog and yourself :-)





Once my dog was housebroken and could be trusted, I no longer made her sleep in it at night or locked her up when I went to the store. I would lave the door open though so that she could go in and out as she pleased, and there many times that she would just walk in during the afternoon to take a little nap.When you trained your puppy what was the product/advice/tool that was most helpful?
No gadgets. I use patience, persistance, praise, and I also have high expectations. I don't give a command that I cannot enforce. I expect results to the first command. I will help the puppy to learn. I will back up in training if I see confusion. I will make the training method to fit the dog, not the dog fit the training method. Believe me there is a difference. The best product/tool/gadget that I use in my dog training is the ability to read and analyze my dog's body language. So I guess that I would say that it would be my own individual experience and training that carries over into my dog training.
Flat collar, 6 foot leather leash, and a bag of treats, and sign up for obedience school.





Thats all you need to train a puppy :)





Most of the other products are designed for people who have a big dog they can't control. Since you're starting training as a puppy, you won't likely need any of it.





The best advice to give: don't raise a selective listener. When you give a command, give it ONCE. Don't say, ';Sit, sit sit SIt SIT!!!';. Just say sit, and lure the dog into a sit with a treat.





If your dog KNOWS sit and knows commands, just say them once. If the dog ignores you're command the first time, go up to it and MAKE him follow it, then praise.
As a dog training, I will tell you that your attitude and consistency is the only tool you need. Read, read, read. Get a couple dog training books and read free articles on the web.





Remember, be the pack leader. You need to enforce strict rules. What's cute in puppies can be down right dangerous when your dog matures (and that happens fast). Establish yourself as the pack leader. Your dog will thank you for it.





Many owners fall into the trap of treating their cute little puppy like a child. This is the wrong answer, it tells your dog that it can get away with what it wants. Then when your dog gets older, you will be posting again about aggression, dominance, destructive behavior, ect. Start now.





Also, get your dog socialized. Take him or her around other dogs, people, cars, ect. Take your dog on several walks per day so they can get used to the environment. That will get him or her confident and eliminate the chances of having a fearful dog.





Chad Thompson


www.VirtualDogTrainer.com
not to sound like a broken record... but consistency.





Honestly, the best thing you can teach your dog, is that you are in charge. your the boss and everything you say goes. everything else will fall into place.





There isn't any one tool that will work for every dog. The last dog i had i never gave a treat to once. Honestly, i dont think i want my dog to do what i say because hes getting something out of it. My dog listened because he respected me as the pac leader. Teaching him was easily positive reinforcement threw praise.





good luck
okay all these people have no idea what there saying


clickers and screaming wtf.teach your dog a trick,


reward he/she with a treat over and over again.besides


a dog loving its owner it loves food ! stuff it up with


treats trust me i have a chow chow and when i say ';juicy sit,she sits then i pop a treat in her mouth and she learns!'; haha hope this helps[=
The Ultimate Puppy Toolkit! Highly recommended by positive reinforcement trainers.





http://www.ultimatepuppy.com/toolkit/ind鈥?/a>
TREATS, 6 ft leash, pronged collar. Prong collar not for very young puppies but older pups. That's just the 3 major tools I use for my training.
Consistency. It doesn't matter what method you chose, just stay with it so you don't confuse the puppy.
I've had puppies my whole life, and it boils down to TREATS, and obedience training rewarded with TREATS!
Don't use their name when telling them ';no';. Use their name only for positive reinforcement.
Consistency.





Dedication.





Best tools in the world.
My screaming. My dog HATES when I scream. I didnt even use a tool/product.
Be consistent and have a positive attitude! Good luck!
A simple clicker and a bag of little pieces of hot dogs.
my dog had 8 pups i tot them how to sit. all i used were dog treats or dog food.

No comments:

Post a Comment