Saturday, July 31, 2010

I have a black stepdaughter and I need advice on how to manage her hair?

She has a coarse grade of hair and I would really appreciate some advice on the best brands of hair dressing, conditioners etc, and where to buy them.





Also is it recommended to use a hot comb to straighten her hair? Would it work even if her hair is not permed at all, and how damaging is this to her hair? She's only four so I don't want to stress her hair out too much. I would just like to make it more easy to manage.





Thanks in advance for any advice!I have a black stepdaughter and I need advice on how to manage her hair?
Since I'm Black, have coarse hair and I'm also the daughter of a hairdresser, here's my advice...





First things first - since African-American hair is naturally much drier than the hair of other races, the number one rule in taking care of our hair is moisture. While it is true that African-American hair needs lots of moisture, the occasional hot oil treatment is fine, but using oil/grease (and yes, that includes Pink Oil products) on the hair every day is a bad idea. Although it can make the hair easier to comb, if nothing else, oily products weigh down the hair (especially relaxed (chemically straightened) hair), make it dirtier quicker and, believe it or not, can dry it out and make the scalp itchy. This is because just like slathering oil or grease on your skin, it can't absorb into the hair unless it's wet - it'll just sit on top of it and attract every particle of dirt known to man. A good rule of thumb: Look at the ingredients on the back of the hair moisturizer. If one of the first ingredients is water, then that's a good moisturizer. And as far as washing it, her hair doesn't need to be washed every day. Every few days or every week should be fine.





Since she is very young, you also could consider getting your stepdaughter's hair braided. If anything, it'll give her hair a rest from the normal stresses of combing and styling, and it makes it grow. To moisturize her hair and scalp while she has braids, use a moisturizing cream, a braid spray or both. Or if you're hard up for money, even regular body lotion will work to moisturize her braids. However, any kind of braids will damage her hair if the braids are too tight. After her hair is braided, her head should feel comfortable - it shouldn't be sore and it shouldn't feel like the braids are playing tug-of-war with her scalp. If it hurts while her stylist is braiding your hair, tell her don't be afraid to let her know. Also, be careful when you take her braids down. When you're taking them down it's easy to get tangles, so if you do, don't snatch at the tangles or try to force them apart or you'll damage or break her hair. Sometimes it helps to comb the end of the braid you're working on to prevent it from tangling. Just remember to take your time and gently untangle the knots and you'll be fine.





As for other methods of dealing with her hair, hot combs are okay for natural hair, but not so much for relaxed hair. However, a hot comb shouldn't be used on her hair every day because it'll damage and dry out her hair. It's not a good method for straightening the hair in my opinion, mainly because of the damage it causes and the fact that the hair doesn't stay straight for long (especially if any kind of humidity is involved). But even though she is only four, getting her hair relaxed is also an option. While most people would say that she's too young for one, I can tell you that my mother has been giving me relaxers since I was three years old (not a full-on relaxer, but a simple ';comb-through';) and my hair is doing just fine. Generally, relaxers should be done about every 6 - 8 weeks.





And one more thing. Make sure you keep her ends clipped. One sure way to make hair grow and keep it healthy-looking is to keep her ends trimmed (usually about every 6 - 8 weeks).





Products I recommend (which you can get from most beauty supply stores, i.e. - Sally's Beauty Supply):





- Creme of Nature shampoo (I personally like the Ultra Moisturizing Formula)


- Infusium 23 Leave-In Treatment (great leave-in conditioner)


- African Pride Braid Sheen Spray (good for every day moisture, braided hair or not)





Hope this helps. :)I have a black stepdaughter and I need advice on how to manage her hair?
Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly answer my question! I can really use the information and especially the product recommendations.

Report Abuse



No problem. Glad I could help. :)

Report Abuse



I like to use mizani. It works really well, and conditions. Or ';pink';, it's a brand. I use the pink conditioning stuff. I forgot the exact name.. but it's pink. It works VERY well on detangling. I mean REALLY well. Beauty Brands is where I bought it. Or Sally's Beauty. It really is fantastic, I reccomend it =] Also don't wash her hair everyday, it dries it out too much. It's already dry enough. Do every other day or even every three or four days. She can still take a shower, just wear a showercap and not get her hair wet.
Girl find you a black friend quick!!! I'm just messing with you...as young as she is you don't really need to do to much. Get you a light oil(PINK OIL) use a quarter size amount put it in her hair and use a good brush and just brush her hair. Get you some cute little hair accessories and give her some ponytails. After washing her hair press it out with a flat iron(save you the stress of using the hot comb trust me I remember when I use to get my hair pressed). I hoped I helped a little...but seriously I would recommend you find someone new you that can help you out and actually show you what to do(a visual lesson is always good). Be Blessed
Ooookay, have you any experience with ethnic hair? You need to take her to a salon every 8 weeks to get her hair trimmed. Always.


I know she's only four, but it wouldn't hurt to use Mizani hair products. They're targed toward ethnic hair, but they're good for EVERYONE. It's right up there with Redken and Sebastian and such. She will only need her hair washed once a week or so, but always make sure to condition it. Don't blow dry it if you don't have to.


Don't try to have her hair relaxed, she is far too young.


Don't try to use a hot comb. If you've never used one, you'll destroy her hair. Even if you have, you can destroy her hair. If you really want it to be straight, flat iron it for special occasions.


Comb her hair with a very wide tooth comb to detangle her hair. You may find it easiest to just take her to a salon and let someone there show you how to put her hair in little girl styles that will last a week or two at a time. Ponytails and twists do great on little girls, but braids are too stressful at that age for most. If her scalp is dry, it may make her feel itchy, so you may need to moisturize her scalp from time to time.
when i was little, my mom would braid my hair. it helps with the growth of her hair. the hot comb comes later, my dear. for hair dressing, it doesn't really matter which you use, all black hair oils do the same thing.
I am mixed but I had coarse hair growing up because my mother didn't know how to take care of it. She is white obviously. Her hair need lots of moisture, so it should only be washed every 3 days using a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. You kind of just have to try till you find the right one but BedHead is a good place to start. She probably also needs a defrizzer if her hair is curly so I would try a de-frizz serum you can find at any beauty store. If you do want to flat iron her hair just make sure you use a thermal protector like Bed Head Fashionista. I wouldn't use oils, they are messy and smelly and don't do much for the health of her hair. Her hair won't need to be cut as often as a white girls because it won't grow as long. Afro hair tends to break beforfe reaching a certain length. Probably the best thing to do though at this age is to have it braided or put it up some way. Pig tails is pretty simple. Just make sure that it gets properly conditioned. Also never use a brush, only use a comb. Get one of thosse big paddle brushes that has the thicker plastic bristles that are set far apart. It won't do as much damage to her hair and will make it smoother. A brush will only make it poofy and frizzy. Hope this helps.
Even though I am not black, I have very coarse/thick hair. If you really want to avoid all processing and products, take her to get her hair plaited regularly. If you would like to leave her hair free, I would recommend using Pink's haircare (you can get it at the drugstore or Wal-Mart), and getting a maxiglide straightening iron, and dependent on how kinky her hair is you may wish to get it chemically relaxed every couple months.





http://www.maxiusbeauty.com/
Coming from a hairstylist, with her age she isn't yet ready or a perm. You would fry the poor babies hair. Go to your local Sally's Beauty or a beauty mart in general. there is a wonderful product called Motions, this is mainly for ladies of color. They make a whole product line, but do not wash her hair daily. Ladies of color do not produce oil as whit people, they must have oils put into there hair. I would highly recommend that you was her hair only 1 or twice a week. Twice a week is pushing it.





For you to straighten the hair, there is a lovely product called ';Yellow Bird'; This is simply a blow dryer, and it produces heat to straighten the hair. No harm to the child. Use a leave in conditioner, and some gloss, and her hair will be wonderful.





Good luck!
you need to use oils in her hair
Dread it!
  • chap balm
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment