Thursday, July 29, 2010

I was just hired by a gas station for the night shift. What advice would you give me?

I've had some jobs where I worked late, but never overnight. I'm hoping to hear from some people who've worked the night shift themselves. Was it easy to maintain your personal life?I was just hired by a gas station for the night shift. What advice would you give me?
It's hard to maintain your personal life a bit because you are working when the majority of people are sleeping and then they are working when you are sleeping! But just try to make time for the people that are important to you. But I will be honest, working the overnight shift is not easy! You really have to work hard at maintaining your personal life while also trying to get necessary sleep to stay healthy. It will take you a while to really get used to it and you should definitely see if it's worth it based on how your life is affected! Good luck!I was just hired by a gas station for the night shift. What advice would you give me?
Well my boyfriend of 4 years got hired for night shift at Lowe's Home Improvement a few months ago. He quit after a month because personal life was too hard to maintain. The only people he could hang out with was the other people that he worked over night with him. I would sleep while hes at work then I would get up and go to work as he was coming through the door and when I got home He'd still be asleep. We'd spend 3 hours max together on a daily basis. He never got to hang out with Friends on days off because when he wanted to hang out everyone was asleep and on the day he worked there wasn't enough time to go anywhere. Hope that helps. Sorry you sound negative.
Gas stations not a bad job, however, you need to watch yourself, people will hang out to see what they can steal when your not watching. You should have a lot to do though, trash, fill coolers, clean floors, stock and dust shelf's, and deal with customers. I'm sure they have a list of thing they want done. Just don't trust people even people you think might be your friends. And for god sake don't let them behind the counter, or handle any of your money. This is your job and you look bad for every thing that can go wrong, NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO HANG OUT THERE. Theft is your problem and you can go to jail if you let anyone take anything without paying.
1) be alert at all time; even more when a car pulls up





2) SAFETY first





3) be good at writing down description of bad folks (pumped and run), license plate numbers





4) follow the operation rules carefully: when to put away the bills; what to say;





5) make correct change (or else you will have to pay for it + get fired)





6) no drug, no cigarette, no alcohol





7) SMILE, it does you some good! lol
You'll find some helpful insights into night-shift work here:


www.steveweistling.com/





Good luck in the new job!
For your own safety I would not accept that job unless you have someone working with you at all times.
Wear a bullet proof vest





Take out extra life insurance
Get good insurance





Dennis G
always carry a gun

No comments:

Post a Comment