Saturday, July 31, 2010

Any advice for a beginner Drag Queen Act?

Decided to turn my cross-dressing hobby into a money earner to put me through university. My girlfriend's planning on being my agent and making the costumes etc. Neither of us have any idea about this business though. So, any advice on clothes, make up, hair etc would be appreciated.





Although I am expecting some out there to call me a weirdo, try to be constructive as this is an actual market research exercise for us. Thanks in advance.Any advice for a beginner Drag Queen Act?
I just love these questions that bring out the lunatic fringe.





Back in my younger years of busking on the streets of Europe, I did a few gigs in the Cabaret bands, so I had the chance to be around a LOT of Female Impersonators... in Europe, they are NOT DRAG QUEENS but actually considered legitimate PERFORMERS and recognized for their professional abilities.





AmeriKans are so Homophobic and have such a narrow vision to anything other than redneck, good old boy stuff, that they don't know or understand the European type of Performers.





Some of the best performers I knew back in those years were VERY SERIOUS about their profession. They didn't CAMP IT UP unless that was what was expected. Most Cabarets are DINNER SHOWS and people don't go to one just to ';Shout insults at the queers'; when they are paying $100 for a fixed price menu with floor show.





You need to be PASSABLE... and I don't mean 30 feet away when you are on stage.. but FACE TO FACE... out on the STREET and in broad daylight... if you are a ';child frightener'; you will never make it as anything but a Drag Queen.





Try going to any gay bar where they have shows and talk to the drag queens. They will be your best source and you may even find a few fishwives who will help you succeed.Any advice for a beginner Drag Queen Act?
Weirdo?? No way and who cares what others think? I think it's great!





My makeup tip is MAC makeup. Seriously. I'm a singer and I perform on stage and I'll tell you this, under those hot lights - it does NOT run nor fade! RuPaul is the best drag queen I can give as an example. Also, there are two books by the late-great makeup God, Kevyn Aucoin that give you step-by-step instructions and illustrations on several different looks. I highly recommend that for any ideas you may have.





And GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! Hey, there's a club in NYC called Lips that has amazing drag acts - drop a line if you're ever in one of them, okay????





:)
Never had any experience in this however i would reccommend not trying 'to over do it', or trying to put on too much of show and making it look tacky.


Try and embrace the role aswell :D and try not to make it a part time thing but to always have in the back of your mind if you want to succeed.
Ok I'm no expert but I believe you should keep it simple rather than over the top. No woman dresses in sparkly loud clothes and puts on pounds of mke up and a has an enormous hair bun.


Try keeping it simplistic and minimal and as realistic as possible.


You could wear a dress with a light wig and some light make up.





What not to do:


http://www.bangingbags.com/wp-content/up鈥?/a>


http://www.out.com/images/137/137WhitePa鈥?/a>





Try reading about ladyboys in China, they are very convincing.


http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/2007-鈥?/a>


http://images.hunsa.com/Music/news_11200鈥?/a>
For a beginner it is easy and looks fantastic to dress as geisha.


Can play on make up and hair style so easy . And it is perfect and so much fun to be a drag queen as geisha.
how you going to make money dressing up like a girl. Have people pay you to call you a wierdo? I don't see any money in your future pal.Maybe you should dress up as a bum and hang around in parks and panhandle...
Weirdo
1. Don't look like Margret Thatcher.
oh er i er......sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment