Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tattoos: My granddaughter asked my advice about getting a tattoo. Why do teens want a tattoo?

I would like to know parents and teens opinions on the pro's and con's for a tattoo. Should she get one? She's 16, nearly 17.Tattoos: My granddaughter asked my advice about getting a tattoo. Why do teens want a tattoo?
I dont have a tattoo, but I have wanted one. I am not sure what I would get though. For me it would be something that will remind me of something. I am very sentimental. I have lots of things that people would have thrown out, but I keep because they mean something to me. I would get a tattoo for this reason, but it would be smaller and easily hidden if I want to do so.Tattoos: My granddaughter asked my advice about getting a tattoo. Why do teens want a tattoo?
i'm covered in tattoos - and ill be honest - the 1st 2 i got i regreted and have since been covered. all the others i have i love and mean a lot to me. i would strongly advise she waits til she is more of an adult. 18 wasnt even old enough for me...ps they dont hurt THAT bad -you earn them, i have never had an issue with getting a job, im 25 and make more than most people my mothers age, i have never had issues medically with any of mine and finally i have been straight and sober for 8 years, if anyone stereo types me bc of my tattoos without knowing their meaning -its their issue not mine.
mayb she just wants 1 for the hel of it..........everybody has diferent taste.........ask her y she wants a tatto???
Ask her if she will still feel the same at an older age, when her skin starts to sag or wrinkle and the tattoo starts to fade and sag along with her skin. I could never imagine having a ';tramp stamp'; on my lower back when I am 50 or 60...not that that is the tattoo that she wants to get. just give her that example.
I think she should get one if she really wants one, but she has to be sure about it because it will be there forever. Make sure she gets the tattoo with sterile equipment, and make sure the tattoo is appropriate (i.e not a dragon across her back)....


yup thats it
i think she's kind of young... if you can, you should get her to wait.... after waiting for a while she might not want one anymore... but they are cool. it's body art :)
I am a parent, and am 52. My kids are 21 and 18. When my son, now 21 was your granddaughter's age, he wanted a tattoo and my most reasonable arguments against it had no impact on him because it was what all the kids were doing, it was ';cool'; and sexy, etc. He didn't want to be a dork.





Now he is 21 and very glad he didn't get one because he has a lovely girlfriend who really doesn't like them very much. I don't know that she would have rejected him on that account, but she might not have been attracted so much in the first place.





How did I keep him from getting one at 16? Well, I didn't forbid him, that's for sure, because then I thought he might go somewhere for it where it wouldn't be sterile. I just told him that if he thought it was such a great idea, that I loved and respected him, and I thought maybe I should have one, too. In fact, I thought it would be really amazing for us to have the same one in the same place--an experience neither one of us would ever forget and a story we could tell forever whenever we showed people our matching tattoos. I couldn't understand why he decided not to do it after all, then. I think that would have been very special.
People are retarded. All my friends want them too, don't let your kids get them - they're ugly %26amp; trashy. They just want to look cool.
I got mine because I loved the designs and wanted the art work on my body, to remind me of the times I was going through. Sadly a lot of teens want them just to look ';cool';
well tattoo's on teen's aren't really a big deal anymore . know back when i was in high school they were rare but still some. now they are more common and socially exceptable .





so its not wrong and as long as its done safely and on a private place on her i'd see nothign wrong with her geting one. good place might be her anke, or few other places .
Ok first of all, please stop stereotyping teenagers. Each generation is different. Not every teenager wants to smoke pot, get drunk, or get a tattoo either.





I do agree that she should wait until she 18 to get it and I think she has to be 100% sure that she wants it.


And technology is now advanced enough for safe tattoo removeal so you can not really say anymore that tattoos are permanent. I think if she wants the tattoo she should wait until she is 18 and make her pay for it. They are expensive so she might think twice about getting one.
I got my first one around the same age, and I got it because it got so much attention from my friends. I ended up getting 5 more tattoos since then and I can honestly say that I wish I hadn't gotten them.





The ink has faded and I did not know it at the time, but I am slightly allergic to the ink. If something aggravates my allergies, the tattoos will puff up and the lines get bumpy...it's noticeable and unattractive.





I am embarrassed to have my tattoos exposed when I'm around family or small children because small children are so impressionable. I also did not realize how many people are offended by tattoos because of religious reasons. My friend was joking around with her parents one night and asked them if they would approve of me marrying her. They said I was a great guy but no because of the tattoos.





You have to really be careful when you get a tattoo. Most places are clean because they don't wanna get sued. If you do decide to let her get one, make health precautions a priority. There are so many chances for blood from a previous customer to somehow find it's way back to your chair.





Lastly, you have to realize that tattoos are addictive. Most people who get one tend to get another one, and then another one. Even though I don't like my tattoos any more, there are times when I look at my arm and think ';hey, this would look cool there.';
Tattoos are a form of personal expression that will last forever. I would suggest making her wait till she's 18 so that she can sign for herself. that also gives her more time to really think it over because it's permanent.
tattoos suck on women it to me degrades them kinda like a motor cycle mama hoo rah
have her wait until she's 18, so she can plan out what she wants to get.. make sure it has meaning, etc.


tattoos are a lot more accepted these days, but still make sure it's somewhere she can cover it up if she wants too
becaesue they can't
Im a teen. I don't want a tatttoo. In my opinion, if you work as a doctor, or even a casheir in the future, people will stereotype you for having a tattoo. It might look cool, but it will hurt and there is that small chance of infection.
A lot of people generalize and say teenagers want it for a 'fad' or a 'coolness'.


Why don't you ask HER this? Why does she want it? Does the tattoo have any special meaning to her? It doesn't have to, but if it doesn't, there should be a reason beyond ';it's cool';. Maybe it doesn't have any personal meaning, but she appreciates it as a beautiful piece of artwork, or whatever else.


As long as she has a genuine desire for the tattoo, you should let her have it. She's old enough to have an idea of what she wants to do with her body, and even if she waited until she was eighteen, she could still regret it later - hence talking to her and making sure she understands its permanent and wants it beyond a 'trend'.


If she does genuinely want it and you deny it to her, she might be inspired to go through 'under-the-counter' means of obtaining the tattoo, which will ultimately be less safe and of a lesser quality, and more regret!
Yeah they're a lot easier to remove these days... making her wait til 18 is probably not a bad idea though, she may thank you for it later!





Or at least make sure it's somewhere out of the way...
U cannot get anything in having tattoo but infection in blood.


But i thought having a tattoo for them gives them more confident.
I would get one only if it had a meaning or special purpose. They can be removed though.
teens want them cuz they think they are cool


most regret it later


she is too young!!


they cost a lot more to remove then to put on
Teenagers' want for a tattoo varies from person to person. The main factor in why teens want a tattoo is the people they hang out with. If those people have one, then the teen is likely to want to get one, too.


So, the main reason teenagers want tattoos is because they want to ';fit in';.
i wouldnt want a tattoo tho but one of my friends do because it looks kool..and some want a tattoo to symbolise something special like love
I would never let my child get a tattoo at that age. I was 29 when I got my first one and knew exactly what I wanted. Teenagers have no idea what they'll want in 10 years from now.
I got my first tattoo when I was 16. When I got it, I thought it was so cool, so the next year I got another. Well now it's been a while and I often don't remember I have them, until I try to wear a formal/cocktail dress or just a plain tank top and I see my name in script on my left arm and a red rose on the other arm. I hate it. It doesn't make me look cool or ';bad';. It makes me look retarded. It's like wearing the same sweater everyday, it gets really old. Good thing is, I'll never forget my name. Bad thing, when I'm older, my rose will wither...
i have a tattoo on my back of a tribal tiger because my cousin died before his graduation in an accident that wasnt his fault. i got it to remember his adventerous life....i have barbwire on my left arm because a freind of mine died in an accident as well and he had the same tattoo.....i also have a tattoo of the asterisk logo of the red hot chili peppers because they're my favorite band ever!
no she should not get one if the artist dnot change the needle there is a 45% she can get aids
cuz it looks cool.
i would let her get one. 16 is plenty old enough. i know they alll say u will regret it when u get older, but as long as it's not trashy, then y not? another thing... don't let her get one that is really big or anything. you want to be able to cover it up if you decide to. like, foot, inside ankle, lower side of stomach, lower back etc. do not get it on arm or shin.





also, u CAN get them removed so its all good.
If you have to ask then your too old for the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment